bar
gene home
bar

Images of Stow, Midlothian, Scotland

Old and new Stow churches         Stow bridge

At left: Old and New Stow Parish Churches. At right: Stow Bridge opposite the ruined church, 28 Aug 2006

Stow main street         Stow town hall

At left: Stow Main Street. At right: Stow Town Hall built 1855, 28 Aug 2006

Stow old church         Stow churchyard

At left: Stow Old Parish Church ruin. At right: Stow churchyard, 28 Aug 2006

Stow churchyard         Stow churchyard

At left: Old Stow churchyard, spire of new church in the distance. At right: Headstones in Stow churchyard, 28 Aug 2006

Moffat headstone         Stow churchyard Stow churchyard

At left: Moffat headstone. Centre: Stow church ruin. At right: Stow Parish Church of St Mary Wedmore built 1875, 28 Aug 2006

Stow plaque
Historic Churches of the Scottish Borders
Stow:

On 3rd November 1242 Bishop David de Bernham of St Andrews consecrated the Church of St Mary on this site to replace an older chapel which formerly stood half a mile to the south. The church possessed a relic of St Andrew and was one of the few in Scotland which provided rights of sanctuary for fugitives and criminals.
Although the present ruins date mainly from the 17th century, they preserve the east-west orientation of the original church, and may incorporate some medieval fabric at the south-west corner, which is supported by a flattened buttress of squared ashlar masonry. The south aisle was added in the 17th century, at least two of the south windows were enlarged as late as 1771 and the belfry was added in 1794. Public worship was held here for the last time on 26th December 1875, when the old church was replaced by the present parish church. Although now roofless, the walls still stand to their full height. Worthy of note are a fine round- headed doorway in the south wall and a traceried window in the west gable.
At the south-east corner of the churchyard stand the remains of the "Bishop's House" which is reputed to have been a summer residence of the Bishops of St Andrews. It probably provided a home for the clergy from the Pre-Reformation times until a new manse was provided in c.1782.

Top
John BURRELL m 1877 Helen ALLAN

Burrell family history Borders Scotland area map

BURRELL Family Tree (links)

© Created : 11 July 2007
© Last Modified : 14 May 2011
Email : jburrell@ncable.net.au
URL : http://users.ncable.net.au/~jburrell/gen/burrell/stow.html